7 December 2012
Ian Murray MP,Shadow Business Minister for Employee Relations, Consumer and Postal Affairsdelivers Christmas encouragement to Royal Mail posties at Edinburgh South West Delivery Office
Ian Murray MP has visited Royal Mail’s Edinburgh South West delivery office to pass on Christmas wishes and encouragement to the postmen and women at their busiest time of year.
Mr Murray was shown round the office by local Delivery Office Manager Jamie Kriebernig and was introduced to all the postmen and women who are working hard doing their bit to sort and deliver all the cards and parcels in the Edinburgh South West area in the run-up to Christmas.
Mr Murray, Shadow Business Minister for Postal Affairs and MP for Edinburgh South said: “It was great to meet the hard-working Royal Mail postmen and women at the Edinburgh South West delivery office and to see first hand just how much effort they put into delivering for people at this time of year.
“Postmen and women do such an important job over the festive period and I’d like to thank them for their efforts and for all they do throughout the year. I wish them all the best over the busy festive period.”
Jamie Kriebernig, Royal Mail Delivery Office Manager at Edinburgh South West said: “Christmas is the busiest time of year for Royal Mail. Our people really do pull out all the stops throughout the year to ensure mail is delivered quickly, but even more so over the busy festive period. We are grateful that Mr Murray MP came along to see the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.”
“Our people do a fantastic job at this time of year to ensure that friends and families stay in touch through their Christmas greetings and gifts. And as usual, we’d like to remind our customers to post early so that friends and family have longer to enjoy their Christmas greetings!”
The recommended last posting dates for mail are:
- Thursday 20 December for 1st Class items
- Tuesday 18 December for 2nd Class items
- Saturday 22 December for Special Delivery items
The last recommended posting dates for international mail are:
- Wednesday 5 December for airmail to Asia, Far East, Australia and New Zealand
- Friday 7 December for airmail to South & Central America, the Caribbean, Africa and the Middle East
- Monday 10 December for airmail to Eastern Europe, the USA, Canada and Japan
- Wednesday 12 December for airmail items to Western Europe
Customers can help Royal Mail ensure that all their letters, cards and parcels are delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible by taking a few easy steps:
- Use a 1st Class stamp! – Post 1st Class for just 60p and have your Christmas card delivered the next day – anywhere in the UK.
- Post early! – Avoid disappointment by posting your cards and parcels early. The last posting dates this Christmas are: December 18 for 2nd Class mail; December 20 for 1st Class mail; December 22 for Special Delivery.
- Use a postcode! – A clearly addressed card or parcel, with a postcode, and return address on the back of the envelope, will ensure quick and efficient delivery.
- Use Special Delivery!– For valuable packages and parcels guarantee delivery with Royal Mail’s Special Delivery, which means your gift is tracked, traced and insured against loss.
- For more information about Christmas with Royal Mail visit: www.royalmail.com or call 08457 740 740.